Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Restaurant Review: Pickapeppa

I normally shy away from restaurants that have cutesy names, but you know, with a limited selection to choose from, a new restaurant is a godsend!

Pickapeppa, a northern Caribbean restaurant, just recently opened its doors, and are still 'working out the kinks' menu-wise as well as service. The menu was limited to curry items and roti items, drinks are spare- lemonade or ginger beer. The restaurant itself is tiny, seating maybe 20 people tightly, but it is very well decorated in a rustic yet joyful Caribbean style. It felt comforting and interesting.

I ordered the ginger beer ($5.25) and the goat curry roti (all roti items for lunch were $12.95, not expensive but not cheap either). My partner ordered the oxtail stew ($16.95) with black-eyed peas and the lemonade. For lunch it is a bit expensive, but seemed well worth it.

Our drinks came quickly and mine was quite good, the ginger was heating and yet not too hot that I couldn't drink it. The lemonade seemed a bit weak and they had the same colour, something that confused the heck out of us initially.

When our meals came--it didn't take long, the server notified me that there might be a bone in my goat curry roti. No problem, as long as I know!

There were 5 big bones and one tiny evil bone, but I caught all of them. Bones aside, the roti was delicious. Unusual and spicy, it was very tasty and I enjoyed it immensely. Well worth it, and I hope they work on the 'bones in the roti' issue...

My partner enjoyed his oxtail stew, and it looked good. Portion sizes are quite large, enough that you come away feeling stuffed.

Located right off main in the strip mall that used to have Le Gourmandise, Pickapeppa will only get better, I predict! A great place to have in the evil, bitter winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment