Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince


I'm not a rabid Harry Potter fan, although I am quite fond of the films. Never miss those ones!

This one showed a marked return to the older style of directing, less whooshing and strange violent movements and more love-story plotlines.

Over the irritatingly loud projection, the story was solid and true. The sound sucked though. The theatre was hot and stuffy, I was dying of thirst a quarter of the way in and it is a looong movie, and the coke (or cola) bought at exorbitant rates was so flat it was gross. Ick.

As usual, I was impressed with the astounding visual aspects of the film. Pure magic, really. I do wish they had more of Hagrid's creatures, but the book doesn't follow it, so why would the film?

I don't want to give too much away, but Snape is bad. Oh, so bad--here at least. He doesn't have a chance to redeem himsel, and poor Dumbledore bites the dust. Ah...end of an era really. Reminds me of the time the Ottawa Citizen ran a photo series 'Who would make the best Dumbledore?" after the initial actor died. They even had Sigourney Weaver dressed in a photoshop finest beard and wig. Haha.

Go see the film, but beware the crappy theatre!

1 comment: