Friday, August 14, 2009

A Girl's Guide to Hunting and Fishing


A New York Times darling when it came out, about a million years ago in 1999, it's actually a fun little book.

Full of pithy insights about the pettiness of the human spirit, particularly while battling cancers (2 show up in the book), it's quirky and easy to read. I really enjoyed the author's descriptions of feelings and emotions, they ring true. New York I happen to be a bit alienated from, as I have not been there in over 10 years, so the book is a tad dated in that aspect. As well, the protagonist Jane Rosenal, pseudo-Jewish, is wealthy, or at least comes from a wealthy family (father is a heart surgeon, mother is ? homemaker?). Again, tends to date the book a bit.

Also, I never considered being an editor for a publishing house a viable career but apparently in New York it is and you can be a minor celebrity as well. The most heart-rending part of the book isn't the protagonist's relationships with men (fleeting, strong, casual and unfulfilling) but with her father. I am a daddy's girl, and it really felt real to me.

I haven't finished it yet--coming close. I have enjoyed it and I can see why it was such a sensation back in the day. I wonder what else Melissa Bank has come up with? In the age of Shopaholic, Janet Evanovich et al. it seems tragic that Bank has stopped. Her 'chick lit' was quality, not fluff.
This book was found at the free store and generously given to me. Apparently in its past life it was worth $12.99 USD and $18.99CDN, concurrently.

No comments:

Post a Comment