Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Pizza Review-Bocelli's Pizza


I have previously done pizza reviews in a big mass pizza overview, but I recently ate out at a new joint (new to me) and thought it deserved it's own review.


Solo.

If I were Bocelli's, I'd be gulping. Actually, when I was eating the pizza, I was gulping. Down water!

I went adventurous and it was a very mistaken leap. Bocelli's pizza has a fairly good reputation, though expensive. The ambience was shabby-Italian chic and it was warm inside, a couple fans were running. I was taken in by the casualness of the atmosphere.

I split a Pissarella pizza with a friend, and it looked very intriguing. Anchovies, pine nuts, spinach, marinara, carmelized onions, capers, and olives (I pick them off, not my fav.) When it arrived it looked gorgeous, exceptionally thin and gourmet. I took a bit and gagged. It was SO salty.

I thought, ok let's try this again and choked down another awful piece. I began picking absolutely everything except the pine nuts and carmelized onions. It was still incredibly salty. I was getting more dehydrated by the second, and tried for a 2nd piece and just couldn't do it. It felt like I was a slug someone was trying to kill by dumping salt on it repeatedly.

My stomach started getting angry and I started gagging attempting to eat the 2nd piece so I said my friend could eat it (iron tongue?).

I even mentioned it to the chef, who said it was a pizza for salt lovers. By the way, nowhere in the menu did it mention that. Salt lover? I love salt--I just don't like being poisoned by it. Then the chef said even the carmelized onions were salted! JESUS.

Clearly they were trying to kill me. I have an adventurous palate and am very open to new food experiences and I have NEVER had such terrible pizza. It was also expensive for the ONE bloody piece I could gag down.

No comments:

Post a Comment