Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Optimism

I just read a very interesting column by Margaret Wente, the Globe and Mail's somewhat contentious columnist. She discussed the downfalls of optimism, and how sometimes pessimists are really the more realistic ones. She states that she is a pessimist, and usually pessimists get the bad rap. They are disloyal, depressing, out of touch.

In reality, sometimes a person doesn't have the opportunity to use 'positive thinking' or 'The Secret' to change their lives. Positive thinking can assist but also mislead. Pessimism isn't equated with negative thinking, but in many peoples lives, it is the exact same thing.

How about this; people who are pessimistic are more realistic. Positive thinking isn't the beam of intense laser that will automatically change everything--that's the kind of thinking that got us into this Recession.

And I'll share, of course, my own pessimistic outlook for today. Sad that I was so forthright, but hey, it fucking worked.

I applied for and got an interview for a super interesting job. I didn't tell anyone I had applied, and didn't tell anyone I rocked the interview. Today I found out I didn't get the job, even though they did like me. Now, due to my pessimistic forward-thinking, I don't have to tell anyone it blew up in my face, again.

Pessimistic? Win-win, I say.

Fuck, this year has been absolutely brutal for rejection.

No comments:

Post a Comment