Monday, May 11, 2009

I like kids, but I don't think I could eat a whole one

In the dubious honour of mother's day yesterday, I would like to mention to others that Whitehorse is a very child-friendly place.

Almost too friendly, if the title statement may apply to you, as it might to myself. They are at art openings, crawling on the floor, protruding not yet born from bulging bellies, hoisted in their artist parent's arms while he is making a speech. The only other place I have seen more babies/pregnant women/strollers/toddlers was Spain, where they swarmed the streets and blocked narrow roads. They were worse than those dangerous mopeds that cut pedestrians off in front of hostels.

Curiously, Whitehorse is also very dog-friendly. Connection? Maybe. I am afraid of dogs but more afraid of babies.
And I think dogs are cuter even.

Coming from someone who, while at a nice brewpub/restaurant in Alaska, was almost seated near a child or baby (can't remember, all look the same). The hostess was edging us closer and I was edging away and then I said, I prefer to not sit near children. No prob! We trotted on over to a more appropriate adult table, near the beautiful stone fireplace. PHew.

But hey, some people might be seriously offended by that. Let them. I will not willingly go near a baby/child/toddler until they are old enough to speak like adults and not yard-apes or aliens (usually around age 12, which is ok).

I say, offended parents should really be more concerned about adults who love children. Love them so much they engage in inappropriate acts. Adults who do not like children will not cause them harm, simply put.

So, if you like babies, Whitehorse is a great place to raise them. If you don't like babies, Whitehorse can be annoying at times. There are ways to avoid them though, so no worries!

1 comment: