Friday, May 22, 2009

Appreciation Day!


First I will voice my appreciation for those interesting candies of yesterday. They were great, the food high-point of my day! I ended up trying the Bassett's Sherbet Fountain and man, as someone who absolutely detests black liquorice, I loved that candy! Yum yum. The fizzy powder you dip the black liquorice dip-stick into just goes so well, even the slightly bitter, woody taste sort of balances the sweet fizz.


The only bummer? Mine was stale (hence the on sale part) and the dip stick broke off, and when I went for the rest still inside the powder & paper tube, I yanked it so hard it came flying out, along with a good quantity of white sherbet powder. On my laptop. Grrr..suspicious white cocaine-like powder liberally coating the keys! Ohh well, it was messy but tasty.


And now for an alternate focus:

It is nice to feel appreciated at work. Even if you are under a large workload, you will always work your ass off for a boss who appreciates you. Who says 'Thank You' and not just a curt, cursory, thanks- in an email.

I have had hard-ass bosses, who made it clear they did not tolerate any shit. I strove to work my hardest for them, because their compliments were hard-won and sometimes a long time coming, but they were so genuine.

I have also had bosses that made it clear the thought a monkey could do your job, and you are only a warm body with half a brain, if that. Even when it's clear they don't know how to transfer a phone call, or make you do minutes for large meeting a week after they proclaim that 'no plebes are to attend this meeting' after they find out how hard and boring it is. (emphasis and exaggeration are mine. You get the idea)

Yeah. No.

Appreciation shows an employee you consider them valuable. Appreciation means that when an employee gets fired, they don't delete every file off their computer just to screw you over.

An employee who does not feel appreciated either by words or kind gestures will never go out of their way to help out a company or association. They will not go the extra mile. They will be surly about the company when not at work. They will be two-faced, unhappy and bitter. They will never share with coworkers, nor will they open up and feel comfortable at work. They will job-hunt while at work and go to interviews at lunch. And they will never feel bad about it. EVER.

Are you willing to take that kind of risk? Please, treat people nicely. We are or once were plebians and hoi polloi at some point in our lives.

I have to add, this is rampant at any sort of size workplace. I worked at a large (50+) person office at the absolute lowest rung and felt so appreciated and welcomed, it was really tough leaving! I left for an unrelated matter, moving provinces, but really missed them.

On the other hand, I have worked in tiny (-10) person offices and been miserable. Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment