Thursday, May 21, 2009

Candy Review!


As a pick-me-up, and because I had some 'free' money in my hot little hands, I trotted down to Paradise Alley, a touristy shop that sells some gourmet food and candies. The money I had was 'Murdoch Money,' dollar bills you get when you spend ridiculous amounts at Murdoch's Gem Shop. I had a whopping $14 (and boy, you do not want to know how much actual dough I spend to get that) and was eager to spend spend spend!

As an aside, I always found free money harder to spend than my own. It seems to have strings attached, like, why waste it on this, or that, or whatever guilt trip your boyfriend lays on you re-free $$.

But I was in the mood for some weird candy. I bought: A bag of incredibly stale, chalky and bloomed chocolate, a sherbet fountain by Barratt (thought Bassett's did them..weird) and 5 powdery cubes of that old chestnut, Turkish Delight.

I am onto the chocolate, which appears to have formerly been high-end but is now a factory reject due to it's age. It is stale, but has a nice, rich filling. I don't know if I would buy it again (well, who am I kidding. I eat baking chocolate when desperate)..but still..

Turkish Delight feels unusually firm. Like a gummy candy. I grab a pink dusted cube and chomp down, and you know? It's actually pretty good. Minimal lipstick taste, firmer but chewier and more substantial and less doughy. Good deal!

My Bassett's (turns out Bassett's does make them, they are a liquorice-fizzy powder sweet, British) is yet to come, I haven't tried it yet but it is just fascinating the heck out of me. Hmmm...review to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment