Thursday, April 23, 2009

Swan Haven


In an effort to repair my damaged self esteem, I trucked out with my partner to Swan Haven at Marsh Lake yesterday.


It was a long drive, about 30 minutes (well it seemed long in a week that feels like an eternity of shit and days that feel like hellish weeks) so I was prepared to not be impressed.

The swans are incredibly far away so you have these large swivelling binoculars on stands to peep at them from. You can hear them from very far away though! They are very pretty even if tiny specs on the horizon of snow. Swans up here sometimes have orange stained necks, which occur from the heavy iron concentration in the lakes they feed off of. Interesting.

We walked across the ice to get a better glimps, alas, they were still way far away. There was a sign barely 10ft from thore admonishing people not to get too close, the swans were resting. Resting? Jeeze, you can barely even see them even *if* you walk out for 45 minutes, haha, I hardly think the swans will be upset. (I don't advocate annoying nature though--those critters have a tough enough time as it is)

Verdict? It was ok. Nice to see some swans but too bad they were so far away. Now a black swan, that would be something... I have only ever seen one once in my life but I have never forgot it. There's something amazing about them, they are so darkly beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment