Tuesday, April 28, 2009

A handy way to avoid the 'bums sleeping on a parkbench in summer' syndrome


Take away the park benches!

On this glorious day, unusual for Whitehorse, I went wandering around the park nearest my place of work. I was pondering sitting down for a bit and reading a bit of my latest trash read, Dean Koontz 'Sole Survivor' and maybe eating the rest of my lunch. Basking in the sunshine, I wandered around and around Shipyards Park. There were no park benches in the sun near the river to enjoy myself, there was only a couple shady picnic benches under a pavilion, where some unruly looking miscreants were drinking. Ugh, no thanks.

I wanted to sit in the sun and soak up what little Vitamin D I could grab...and I looked and looked and no park benches to be seen, for miles of walking trail.

Instead, I went back to my car, rolled down the windows and did what I saw everyone else doing--sitting in their cars eating lunch with the windows rolled down in the park. Shameful.

There weren't any rummies drunk on the benches like I was used to seeing in Vancouver's parks but the sheer lack of any bench-like item was ridiculous. I want to sit in the sun, dammit!

The only park along the river that has benches/appropriate seating is Rotary Peace Park, on the way to the bridge into Riverdale. You have to drive to that one from where I am. Boo.

1 comment: