Tuesday, March 10, 2009

What are your hierarchy of needs?


A city can't be all things to all people.

I have developed what I call a rip-off of Maslows' Hierarchy of Needs, except we are past the hunting for food and moving on towards self-actualizations.

My hierarchy of needs directly relate to where I live. Is it fulfilling? Does it meet most or all of my needs? *Note* even paradise can have hidden issues, and might not meet your needs.

My hierarchy of needs are: House, Job, Horses, Friends...basically the top 3 categories.

Pretty simple, right? Well you wouldn't believe how hard it is to achieve a complete fulfillment of all your needs. That's when disillusionment starts building up and overwhelming your personality. Inner conflict develops when you feel like things just aren't right!

Cognitive dissonance can also exist when you start relying on some needs that are met, and some aren't. For example, you love your job but the 1+ hour commute is killing you. The job can't overcompensate for the commute. Or, you love the equestrian scene, you're there every day, but have no social friends. Loneliness can't ever be ignored.

I think the worst is when you are in a city and all your needs are met. Then, slowly, the carpet is pulled out from your feet and you start sliding backwards, wondering how you ended up on your ass. One by one your needs start falling apart. You have a falling out with friends, or your landlord kicks you out, or you lose your job, or you hate your job, or it's always too cold to ride, etc etc. It is SO EASY to fall.

That, my friends, is why people move cities.

That also may be why *I* will move.

No comments:

Post a Comment