Wednesday, January 20, 2010

You are What You...Eat?

I always thought that saying was pretty stupid, but I've been considering food more often. I think it is starting to become a preoccupation, albeit an odd one. I read cookbooks but hate cooking, I like investigating interesting food scandals/GMO stuff/the continuing war of organic vs nonorganic, 'the food swindles' etc but really don't like grocery shopping.

To combat my grocery malaise, I wrote out a list of foods and meals I like to eat. Now this may sound ridiculous, but honestly, it helps a lot. For example, I know I like to eat chicken, yams, shrimps, spinach et al, so when I go grocery shopping, I try to think of that meal and what I've got written down goes into my basket. I am also attempting to encourage healthy eating for myself, so I buy as many produce items as I can to incorporate into a meal. Bonus-the more the food will go bad, the faster you are motivated to create a meal with it!

So, laugh all you want at my food strategy, but I think it works. I still tend to obsess over food though... Hmmm.

Related but not that related--there is a genetically modified flax seed (GMO) called Triffid. HA haha...proof that some scientists have a sense of humour. Triffid was developed in the 1990s at the University of Saskatchewan and named after the flesh-eating plants featured in John Wyndham's 1951 novel, The Day of the Triffids. (CBC news story)

No comments:

Post a Comment