Thursday, January 21, 2010

Next Career: Escargot/Snail Farming

As my position term winds down, I begin to consider alternate career options. I like my job a lot, but would snail farmer be even more rewarding?

This comes at an interesting time for me, as my partner is out of my current city exploring career options of his own. I even moved to this city for his career, and will be leaving it shortly for his career--?? Make sense? I know he would never in a million years ask me to change my life to suit his, and this is is just how things seem to be working out at the moment, but a small, sneaking part of me gets righteous about my career!

Moving to this city turned out to be a boon to my job status, but it sure didn't start out that way (see last year's posts. anger). When we travel and meet friendly people who ask why we live in such a cold and forbidding place as the North, it always starts with 'him' continues with 'him' and ends with 'him'. What about 'me'? Do I trail along, like a half-deflated passive balloon?

I have a career, a job I currently like but don't want to do forever, in a place that is, yes, cold and forbidding. Why is it always 'we moved up here for his job' and then my own career is either never brought up in conversation or merely in passing. I count too! Grumble...It just seems like I had to bring it up, but it's very difficult to tell your partner that you feel your career is valued less than his, particularly when it seems like he tells people "Oh yes we moved up here, didn't work out, we're moving back to there because of my new job." Well, what about my current job? Oh that's right, his wife just follows him everywhere and doesn't work.
And yes, I left a job to move to this place, made things work great for me here career-wise and for journalism, and now have to drop it and leave again.

Hmmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment