Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Royal Lippizan Stallions Come to Town


I know, I know--shocking isn't it??

I already saw them on a jaunt down south, but I was very surprised that they made the trek all the way up here to perform in the Takhini Arena. Not classy, but hey they show some effort! In the show I watched down south, it was sadly clear that the production value had gone down in the past few years. I was an avid fan in my youth, and went whenever they were in town. My dad would get ground-floor seats and I would breath in the musky hay scent eagerly. It seemed so glamorous, so professional, so unreachable.

Now that I'm older and less easily impressed, the horses were performing well but the 'clap for the horses, the riders' schtick was getting a bit old. This isn't the circus, people.

The show that travels is not affiliated with the Royal Lippizan stud in Vienna, but they kind of make it seem like they are. Fair enough, I guess. The horses are fairly well trained and they all seem to do the 'coffin canter' really well, I have never seen such a collected canter held for so long. The 'Airs Above the Ground' were quite good, they introduced an 'airs' that I have never seen before, the Mazir. One bummer, they usually do the 'Capriole' under saddle, and this time they didn't. Ohh well.

The arena seats weren't even close to half-full, and they hardly advertised it at all. Kind of lame! Plus there was no dimming of the lights or special effects like they used to do. Ah, how things change.

I don't know if I will go again, it just seemed a bit tawdry to what I was used to. For the uninitiated, it's a blast though!

No comments:

Post a Comment