Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Paris Nights & New York Mornings

So I went to my big Olympic day and am back again at my humdrum existence. It was pretty awesome, getting a glimpse of glamour! It started with the charter flight, which was called 2010 in honour of the Olympics--and we got a fab breakfast and two drink services. About a thousand times more than I can say about shitty Air Canada, that's for sure (breakfast was yogurt, grapes, strawberries, brie, cheddar, huge fruit muffin and a petite orange?!!!! yumm)

I also got a sweet scarf that has slits in it for my poor cold hands. Yay! We landed and were herded to the new skytrain that goes directly downtown, and from there, checked out Canada's Northern House. It was really hopping, and we got VIP front of the line treatment, no waiting for 1-3 hrs for us, sweet! It was interesting, kind of like a museum of Northern artifacts. We watched various Yukon dignitaries speak, then Sasquatch Prom Date, local rockabilly band, performed. It was pretty cool. Lunch came in a bag and was surprisingly good, sandwich, bag of veggies, drink & cookie. We left to go check out some artists and hit up more interviews. My friend is working at CNH and we got to hang out for a bit, and that was nice.

We looked at the Inuit Gallery, swanky, then the Aboriginal Pavilion, which was super busy. And the weather the whole time? GORGEOUS. Hot, sunny and beautiful. I felt very nostalgic about Vancouver, and a bit sad. Why did I leave?

Then we had lunch #2, other members in my group decided they were no longer there to work and went to the bar instead. I went to see the Olympic Cauldron, and yes, it was quite magnificent, looks like massive quartz rising into the sky on fire. The crowds were insane.

Then I met up with bar-goers from the morning and had a drink and dinner, before we left for the medals ceremony at BC place. It was Yukon day, so there was a Yukon performance featuring live singers, dancers and sled dogs. It was funny, since the sled dogs were like WTF and didn't want to pull a sled across the stage. They got kind of picked up and pulled across. Silly pups!

Stereophonics came on and my feet were killing me by this point. I enjoyed them but the others in my group decided it would be more fun to stand in line for a few hours at another bar, instead of staying for the show. I was a little annoyed--we come ALL this way and all you want to do is hang out at a bar? Jeeze, wankers.

Trip home at midnight, dinner at 1am and it was as great as breakfast. Procuitto, strawberries, swiss cheese, capicolo salami, 3 olives, grapes, wine...ahhh...

And so ends my Olympic adventure. Except that I had to write 4 stories the next day, exausted as hell. Haha. Worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment