Monday, February 15, 2010

Ooooolympics!!

It's the big event happening now! I am not actually watching much, if any, as I do not have cable TV and am far too cheap to bother with it now anyways. I have a soft spot for watching the Olympics though, and I think Super-G racing, aerials and slalom would be pretty awesome. Not as awesome as the Summer Olympics, as, let's face it, not *all* countries can even enter Winter Olympics. Definitely not as inclusive, economically speaking.

Some concerning things have been going on, particularly in the realm of practicality. Case in point: cancelling a major snowboarding event (for spectators only) because it was raining and the slush/hay heaps they brought in to substitute for snow just didn't seem to cut it, and volunteers were sinking up to their kneecaps. Winter Olympics in Vancouver, in springtime? Really? Really? I am all for it, as I am attending myself, but c'mon, February is tulip time, not ski race season there.

Also, there have been 6 crashes in luge, one ended in an airlift out and another in a death. Hmmm... That is concerning as well. We want to display our athletes, not knock them out of the running by dangerous practice sessions.

I hope the kinks and troubles get worked out and Canada hosts a fabulous show for all. I am looking forward to heading out there myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment