Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The more things change...

The more they stay the same?

I'm back in residences, living the student life for a brief chunk of time. And as always, observing the hilarity that is human nature. Case in point: I've met tons of great people and they are super interesting, but I've also had the chance to see flirtations gone awry.

A girl (Katie) was flirting with a guy in our classes, both lived on my floor in res, and please note that there are limited guys in our program--like 7 out of 50, and some are definitely over 50 themselves. This guy (Ed) was a bit older, around 30, I gathered, dressed suspiciously nicely for a dude, quiet etc.

I noticed their interactions throughout the week, a bit of closeness here and there, hanging out together, sitting together in class--all that fun stuff. Then I was sitting and watching TV in our lounge when Katie comes in chatting with another classmate about Ed, and how they were flirting and he took it to mean seriousness! and promptly got cold feet, didn't want to pursue things after res, etc etc. She said she was not serious, and forget it, let's just be friends. And then mentioned that he asked her to hang out more afterwards, like the pressure had been taken off or something like that. Also that a girl from the other classes seemed to be interested in him, and he wasn't dissuading her of that notion, and that pissed Katie off. Why fight for a guy who doesn't care?

I wasn't really listening, but being in proximity couldn't help it. They leave, I continued watching TV and guess who comes in with a different girl? Why, Ed!

We had a party on the weekend, and yes, guess who comes? Everyone from our little drama triangle, Ed, Katie, mystery girl. Katie leaves early. No surprise there!

As a keen observer of human nature, I found this very interesting. Interpersonal communications never seem to tell the whole story!

No comments:

Post a Comment