Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Everyone In Our Group Has Blue Eyes

Classes are winding down for our residency, and as we sat through yet another 3-hr class, I couldn't help but think: boring, and I am going to seriously miss this.

I even bought a weird muffin for too much money because I was tired and thought it might help me and maybe stop my strangely loud stomach grumblings. Note-I do eat breakfast, and the biggest guy in the class's stomach did not grumble, it was mine!

The class took a turn for the serious and emotional. Our theory professor had attended the 'I have a dream' speech by Martin Luther King, and he spoke on that for a bit, relating it to various theories we studied. He talked about how powerful it was, and how nobody knows what is going to make history until we're studying it in a Canadian classroom 30 some years later. He even choked up a bit, and it got emotional.

What was also sad was he mentioned how he wasn't sure how much longer he was going to be teaching, jokingly saying he wasn't getting any younger, but it was more than that. A significant other was seriously ill with a relapse, and things were not looking good.

Everyone stood up and gave our professor a standing applause, and it was just such a heartfelt moment. A strong way to end the class, and it also made me very sad. I'm going to miss being here.

No comments:

Post a Comment