Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Don't let me down

An homage to The Dears latest album (or at least I think it was their latest, I got it last winter about this time, and one song in particular resonates with how things were going at this time--I was struggling, job-wise, and had a seriously ill piggie)

This song, by the way, is Crisis 1 & 2, if that shows it's significance at all.

As the snow is now whipping with a blinding ferocity, I think about the things I'm grateful for, not just my burgeoning dark-induced insanity. I am in the process of cultivating a new friendship, and just had a dinner with so much wonderful conversation it amazed me. I love it, and I love how I build rapport with people seemingly easily. Why does it seem that old friends are harder to maintain than new ones?

As I left work, I passed by a coworker who said 'Bye Susan' and passed by someone else who again recognized me and said Hi!--I'm thinking, in another city would I run into people who know me so easily? It's interesting. I mostly hate the small-town stuff, but when people recognize you and welcome you, it's kind of a good thing.

The tricky thing with friends, is making them. Who reaches out first, most? Whoever reciprocates the most=friends? It's a tricky formula. I only extend the olive branch if I feel a certain kinship, and then if I sense it, I am hesitant to make the first move... It's like going on a date without all that weird sexual electricity.

This friendship seemed to come about organically. She made the first move, I made the second, and then she inferred a later meeting--so, nobody is on unequal ground. I think it's really cool, and I'm super glad I am in the right mindset to be free to meet and join minds~

The thing about friends, is that they absolutely do need to be maintained. Bad friends are ones who let your compassion and loyalty fall by the wayside. Good friends reach out, like you will reach out, and meet you in the middle. Bad friends know they can rely on you always, and you know you can never rely on them.

I think that's why I'm extra glad that I can still attract like-minded people, and I appreciate that we seem to be on the same wavelength regarding who takes the next steps. It's an investment that always pays off what you put into it, if everyone's on the same level. Relationships require work, so why wouldn't friend relationships? (not that much work though, they are supposed to be fun!)

No comments:

Post a Comment