Monday, November 29, 2010

People work for money. Want loyalty? Hire a dog.

I'm currently mired in another class for school, and it's about organizational culture. It's sort of interesting, in a horribly academic and dry way, but when I or others can relate it to our lives, it becomes FAR more interesting.

This quote amused me, because honestly, how many of us have worked for places that subtly required employee loyalty? Yes, and the inferences can be very insidiuous, from wearing 'flair' buttons to having full-out employer required dress codes. My professor was insistent that companies are only as stringent as the market will bear and employees will take, and otherwise they go bankrupt. But, in my experience, this subjugation of employees happens all the time, and no, those places don't go bankrupt all the time...

Case in point, I was employed at a terrible toxic workplace. There was some sort of assumed loyalty, and the employer was indeed a dog of some sort...well, the bitch variety anyways. The extreme turnover and rumor-mongering should have been my first clue--duh, but it wasn't. I learned that an employee left in a screaming match, and that was the first time they had to change the locks. Another employee was fired for 'sexual harassment' and subsequently threatened to come back and wreak havoc--2nd time the locks were changed, in a year!

Another employee quit, the employee that was originally hired in my position before I was offered the job lasted ONE day, then quit, another employee quit, and then myself and one last employee quit.

Yeah, stellar eh? Well, now the place has some loyal, dog-lovely employees who settle the boss's scum-sucking ways, and apparently can live up to the corporate culture of being put-down and subjugated to the employer's whims day to day.

Anytime I hear the words 'corporate' or corporate policies, I shudder. Never has this been a good thing, and all they really seem to achieve are zombie workers, mindless of all other than 'corporate' needs/gains. Ugh.

Yep, I'm pro-being public servants. Hey, it works for a lot of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment