Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Our Halcyion Days

I'm back from India, day 2 of some serious jet lag.

How would I describe India? Insanity, visceral, crazy, dangerous, hot, exotic, sweat, pollution, (now this is just the Ahmedabad side of it). The Goa part is jungle, steam, pollution, beach, hawkers, hassels, cows.

India is not a time for a relaxing holiday--well, the Goan part maybe, but even that has the propensity to smack you in the face with Indian-ness. Ahmedabad (Gudjarat region) food is not that great...certainly edible but I wouldn't seek it out. Goan food, oh hell yes, the food is excellent. Huge prawns, cheap cheap cheap! I didn't get sick, nothing horrible happened, life goes on.

My hotels were fine, the Ahmedabad one was clean and nice, good air conditioning but you can't sit out in the city, no swimming pools, so loud with endless honks and smothering pollution. The Goan hotel, Goa Riviera, was slimy with subservience. I got 500 Rs stolen from my room, feared I gained a potential stalker.

The toilets are what you would expect for a burgeoning Industrialized nation. Kind of hell-hole ish, we judged restaurants on the conditions of the washrooms.

Things were tense with our group situation, in no small part caused by our teacher behaving in an interesting fashion. Let's just say some lines were crossed that we all saw.

Back to reality (but it feels like those days were reality, I'm just waiting to wake up from a Malarone dream in a hot country, leaving cold days behind)...

Back to work, the daily grind. Did I leave a part of me in India? Would I return?

No comments:

Post a Comment