Sunday, September 19, 2010

Until recently, I was unaware that Oprah and God were two different people

(Not mine, found it on a very amusing website...)

But it does bring to mind the ever-existing struggle between religious people, other religions and, well, everyone.

As an atheist myself, I find it very difficult to listen, understand or care about other people's religions. Fine, go ahead and worship, pray or burn black candles while dripping chicken heads over them, but don't involve me. Also, I figure that Jeebus is a proper substitute for Jeezus.

And what do atheists do? Well, first let's dispense with a popular misconception--they don't 'hate' God. For that to happen, they would have to believe in a god. And that just ain't happening.

I like to tell people I am polytheist, and into 'many' gods. I have a god for money, a god for health, a god for luck, a god for love...etc etc etc. People love this. It takes away that horrible ''pious, unholy'' feeling they get whenever they talk religion with anyone. Tell them you're an atheist and screeeechh...record skids off the A-track.

Atheists also don't act immorally because they have no 'god' watching over them. They act like decent, kind respectful people because, *gasp* they are! They are not accountable to an imaginary patriarchal figure in the sky. They are good people, simply because they are. They do not act charitable with hopes of great rewards in an afterlife, or act in fear of some supposed hell. Bad people are christians, agnostics, atheists, humans and anything under the moon. Religion does not preclude you from being an asshole.

I also like to joke that I avoid churches because I'm afraid I'll burst into flames upon entrance. (Yeah it goes over well with certain audiences...but it's a tricky one...)

Finally, I can't help but think that hell isn't the horrible place it's said to be. As I live in a climate that can be extremely cold and treacherous, and frequented hot climates that I loved...well...If it existed, and this is a big if...

Hell would be cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment