Thursday, May 13, 2010

Chocolate Mousse!

I made the most interesting dessert yesterday--vegan chocolate mousse. How did I make it? Well, I had 3 little avocados going funny on my windowsill, the result of buying the sack of 5 rock-hard ones and then getting sick of them after eating two...

So, I looked online and found a vegan recipe for making avocado chocolate mousse! I made it, it's pretty simple. Just look for recipes that don't have bizarre or ridiculous demands, or substitute your own for those silly ones that ask for 'vanilla pods' or 'pure organic maple syrup and carob'...

All you need are 2 or 3 very ripe avocados, some vanilla extract, 1/4 cup of cocoa, water and 100 mls of maple syrup. Blend and voila! Dark bittersweet chocolate mousse. There is a hint of avocado and the texture is fluffy with a bit of grain to it, but it's quite nice. It is extremely filling, trust me, so you don't need to eat a lot to feel very full. I ate mine with sliced strawberries. Keep it chilled in the fridge and enjoy with fruit of your choice~ a healthy dessert!

2 comments:

  1. I am neither vegan nor vegetarian, but, like you, I had three very ripe avocados on my kitchen table. So, as soon as I read this post, I got up and made this recipe.
    I enjoyed it for the most part, except that the flavour of the avocados was a bit overpowering, so I added a bit more maple syrup. Ironically, the problem may have been due to the avocados being organic; organic fruit tend to have much stronger flavour. So I think I'll save my organic avocados for guacamole next time, unless I have fresh strawberries kicking around. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem! I quite enjoyed it, quite filling!

    ReplyDelete