Tuesday, February 3, 2009

A review of MOONSTROKE

You know, it was great.

The venue had me alarmed in the beginning. The Mt. MacIntyre recreational centre isn't traditionally the venue for a rock-out fest, but as the night went on, it got more awesome.

Along one wall was a dizzying arrangement of items available for silent auction. Energy drinks, board shorts, carwashes, Raven paintings...you name it, it was there. The best part about the entire night- the $5 beer, the silent auction, the rockout music? It all goes to support the Mae Bachur Humane Society. Never have I attended an event that supports a charity I overwhelmingly agree with!

I unfortunately was designated driving, so no animal-supporting beers for me!
We dropped in for the opening of Crash the Car, which was definitely an interesting and trippy set.
The John Taylor (I honestly can't remember this band's name, so my best guess is this..) came up next, and all I could think was, what about the dueling banjo's, a la 'Deliverance'
Next was Speed Control. At this point, everyone was still dance-shy, so they squashed themselves along the main corridors, making it hard to get around. The dance floor was so empty you could host a ballroom dance on it.
Speed Control sounded quite a bit like a bunch of bands that I like, gone acoustic. Think Dashboard Confessional...
The main dude of Speed Control had stage presence. He pranced, flung, rocked, jumped, squirmed and left the stage. I think this band is really going somewhere. CHS came on next with some awesome covers. From A-Z (ending with Led Zeppelin) they rocked out with everyone's favourites. Biggest surprise of the night? The Beatles 'Twist 'n' Shout' had everyone swinging on the floor. I still can't believe the Beatles did that one.
Finally, Sophisticated Cave Music showed up to close Moonstruck. They surprised me, being a reggae-roots-cajun kind of swingy band. Very danceable.

In short, Moonstruck was totally worth the $10. C'mon, it was $10 and entire night of fun and frivolity. You missed it? You missed OUT!

2 comments:

  1. Moon "stroke". Although MoonSTUCk sounds pretty impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moonstuck? I think I actually wrote MoonstRuck. missing the 'r' there mister!

    ReplyDelete