Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Urban Cake: Grand Opening & Sticker Shock


I was passing by the new bakery, 'The Urban Cake' on my way to TD (it is where the t-shirt shop used to be) and I thought I should check it out. I love bakeries, and am a huge fan of Cupcakes Etc. in Vancouver, despite an unfortunate too-many-cupcakes incident in which myself, my sister and friend became violently ill...

But anyways, I am always on the lookout for bright, gorgeous confections. The Urban Cake doesn't disappoint. It is a tiny, hole in the wall with a display case of various lavishly decorated cupcakes and mini-cupcakes, and brownies. I believe they do special-order cakes as well. I was ready to purchase a cupcake, which I believed to be around $3.00, which is on par with Cupcakes Etc in Vancouver (we bought a bunch of delicious day-olds for $12, and trust me, that was too much cupcake/sugar) so a pretty good deal, as far as designer sweets go.

I was eyeballing the case and then I noticed they were referring to normal-sized cupcakes as 'mini cakes' and the miniature cupcakes as 'cupcakes'. So...a cupcake-sized regular cupcake was $7.50!!! And a mini cupcake 'cupcake' was $3.00!!! WTF

Way too expensive, in my humble opinion. I have taken cake decorating classes and I am not a half-bad baker. There is NO WAY I am paying more for a friggin' cupcake than I would at Cupcakes Etc, which have fantastic varieties as well. Outrageous!

I am all for independent businesses...But right now it seems like having an independent business=gouging. Hm.

1 comment:

  1. I went in for the grand opening and ordered half a dozen cupcakes (full-sized cupcakes) for $15.00. They were delicious and beautifully decorated. Personally, I don't agree that they're over-priced.

    ReplyDelete